Call to Artists – Request for Qualifications
Deadline – Sunday, March 14, 11:55pm, Mountain Standard Time
The City of Chandler Cultural Development Department is looking for a qualified artist or artist team to create a contemporary mural in the southern portal of the Chandler Breezeway. The artist fee for the project is up to $9,000, which will cover all project costs including but not limited to: design, materials, installation, transportation, and insurance.
Qualification submittals are due by 11:55pm on Sunday, March 14, and can be submitted via webform below.
Call to Artists – Take a Hike
Deadline – Sunday, March 21, 11:59 p.m. Mountain Standard Time
The Vision Gallery and Gallery at CCA invite artists to submit work for the Summer 2021 exhibition: Take a Hike. As the pandemic gripped the nation in 2020, people of all different backgrounds searched for ways to safely venture out of the house and take a break from the pressures of daily life. One activity that allowed people in the Phoenix Valley and beyond to social distance and exercise at the same time was to hit the trails. While more experienced hikers may have sought out new trails or new ways to engage with familiar areas, more novice hikers were also able to safely and respectfully enjoy longer adventures with the help of education materials that were widely shared. For this exhibition, the Chandler Galleries invite artists to share their appreciation and experiences of hiking the myriad trails across Arizona and further afield. Artists are welcome to submit any type of work – some examples include: drawings of flora and fauna, an illustrated map of a favorite trail, or even signage promoting respectful hiking. Whatever the medium, the Vision Gallery hopes this exhibition will foster a love and appreciation for the parks, forests, and waterways that constitute our public lands.
Exhibition-ready works in two or three dimensions will be accepted, as well as video. The gallery will also consider proposals for performance-based work. Each artist is allowed to submit up to five artworks for the $5 submission fee. Please read the complete information about this call for work below, and then complete the online submission form and pay the submission fee.
Call to COC Employees – Off the Clock
Deadline – Sunday, July 11 at midnight MST
This opportunity is only available for City of Chandler employees.
Are you a weekend wood worker? Free time photographer? Personal portrait painter? Stained glass stylist? Now is the time to share your artistic side with the city!
At the City of Chandler, we are fortunate to have myriad multi-talented individuals working all around us. While many of your coworkers’ skills are visible in the office, some talents are not as obvious. Further, COVID’s many restrictions have given many employees the opportunity to find new hobbies or rediscover old passions to pass the time. Off the Clock celebrates the artistic talents of our fellow City employees!
Each artist is allowed to submit up to five artworks for selection by Vision Gallery staff. Selected works must be exhibition-ready by August 13, meaning appropriately framed (if work is 2-dimensional) and ready for presentation. It is not recommended that artists frame their pieces prior to notification that their work has been selected. Please contact Vision Gallery staff with any questions at 480-782-2695.
Artists must be current employees of the City of Chandler. Each submission may include up to 5 works. Please apply via the online submission form linked below, and have the following information handy:
– Your contact information
– JPG images of the artworks you are entering, up to 5. Please ensure the files are named like this: ArtistLastName_ArtworkTitle1.jpg, ArtistLastName_ArtworkTitle2.jpg
– A 5-sentence description of your artwork and why you make it (what inspires you, special processes you use, what you like to convey in your work, etc.)
– Detailed information about each piece you are submitting: title, medium, year created, sales price/insurance value, dimensions
Unsolicited Exhibition Proposals
Installation view of the exhibition Concerned, but Powerless, by artist Safwat Saleem
Are you interested in showing your work at Vision Gallery or the Chandler Center for the Arts? We always accept exhibition proposals for both spaces and jury them on a rolling basis during the months of January and June. Please click the button below to access our submission form.
Interested artists are encouraged to contact gallery staff prior to submission with any questions they may have. Gallery staff can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and 480-782-2695.
- Incomplete and improperly formatted applications may not receive a response
- Small group exhibitions including 2-4 artists in different media organized around a common theme are more likely to be accepted than solo exhibitions. This benefits both the gallery and the artists as it attracts a wider variety of viewers, but still allows the artists to display a cohesive body of work, as opposed to individual objects.
- Solo artists may still apply, but will be considered for both group and solo exhibitions.
- The quality of your images matters. Make sure your photographs are in focus, well lit, and with a plain background. It is possible to take good photographs with your phone, but if you have a better option – use it! Here is a good tutorial for taking quality pictures of your artwork with a smartphone.
- We do not have a budget for shipping artwork. If you live outside of Arizona, it may be quite costly to get your artwork to and from the gallery.
- Take a look at our past exhibitions to get a feel for the kinds of shows we host.
- If your primary goal is selling artwork, we might not be the right gallery for you. Although we are thrilled when artwork sells, our focus is on hosting engaging, thought-provoking exhibitions for our community to enjoy and not commercial sales.
Vision Kids Classes
The Vision Gallery offers its Vision Kids Programs in a variety of media and all classes are taught by local professional artists. The classes are offered to the Phoenix metropolitan community free of charge to the participants, and are underwritten by individuals, corporations, and grant funding.
Gallery at the CCA
The Gallery at the Chandler Center for the Arts is curated by the Vision Gallery as part of the Arts Center Division of the City of Chandler. Both galleries are non-profit art galleries managed by the Chandler Cultural Foundation and host six to eight exhibitions per year.
Vision Gallery in the News
The Vision Gallery, Gallery at the CCA, and Chandler’s Public Art program are regularly featured in local media outlets including the SanTan Sun News, Phoenix New Times, AZ Redbook, and KJZZ. Read recent stories and find links here.